Statement from the leader of the council regarding COVID-19 – Thursday 17 December 2020
Councillor Andrew Johnson, leader of the council, said: "Following the Government’s review of the local tiers today (17 December), the Royal Borough has been moved up to tier 3: very high alert.
“We’re disappointed that we have been moved into tier 3. It’s not what we wanted but Government considers the rates in our neighbouring authorities in its analysis.
“I am particularly concerned about the damage tier 3 will do to local businesses across the Royal Borough and we will continue to do all we can to support them, as a council, but we also hope you’ll help by using them – albeit safely.
"The next few weeks are critical. We still have significant community transmission and we anticipate there will be a rise in cases from the ‘Christmas bubble’.
“COVID-19 does not care about Christmas. Your home is still the number one place where you’re likely to catch it so please use your judgement about the number of people you see, and the time you spend with them. Keep yourself and your loved ones safe. Don’t give COVID-19 this Christmas – it’s the unwanted gift you can’t return.
"If we all work together, we can beat this. Follow the data, safely support local businesses, and stop the spread."
Tier 3 means that you must:
- Not mix with other households indoors
- Only meet other people outdoors in open public spaces in groups of up to six
- Reduce your number of journeys, avoid travel outside the area unless needed
- Work from home if possible
- See the full details of the tier 3 restrictions on the Gov.uk website.
Please continue to follow hands, face and space, remain vigilant both outside and indoors, and if you develop symptoms, self-isolate at home and get tested. If you need support, we have a variety of resources to help you. See the COVID-19 page on our website for more details.
#StopTheSpread #FollowTheData #SupportLocalBusiness
What this means for businesses in the borough;
- BARS, PUBS AND RESTAURANTS Hospitality is closed, with the exception of sales by takeaway, drive-through or delivery.
- ACCOMMODATION Closed (with limited exceptions)
- ENTERTAINMENT Indoor venues closed.
- RETAIL is open
- INDOOR LEISURE Open. Group activities and classes should not take place.
- PERSONAL CARE Open.
- OVERNIGHT STAYS We advise against overnight stays other than with household or support bubble.
- WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS 15 guests for weddings, civil partnerships and wakes; 30 for funerals. Wedding receptions not permitted.
For full detail on the government guidance for Tier 3 visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-3-very-high-alert
Here’s the link to the business support page on RBWM website which will be updated as and when further support is made available. https://www.rbwm.gov.uk/home/council-and-democracy/contact-us/coronavirus-information-and-support/covid-19-business-support
Businesses can also get help and support for free from the Berkshire Growth Hub https://www.berkshirebusinesshub.co.uk/